Located in a cosmopolitan coastal city, the Advanced Liberal Arts co-sponsored program is ideal for advanced Spanish language immersion along with Catalan cultural studies. Participants enroll for the semester in a combination of center-based classes in Spanish with U.S.-based students and local courses at the Universitat de Barcelona with Spaniards. This program offers an optional internship.
Advanced Liberal Arts
This application has closed.
Spring 2024: 1/31/2024-6/1/2024
- Program Organization
- This is an IU Co-Sponsored Program
- Semester Program with Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE)
- Typical enrollment: 30-40 students from U.S. colleges and universities
- Academic Program
- Advanced Liberal Arts program track*
- All courses taught in Spanish
- Optional, unpaid 3-credit internship
- 8-10 hours/week (135-160 hours per semester)
- Placements in international relations, finance, marketing, humanities, language, public relations, market research, publishing, and communications
- 15 credit hours
- 3 IU credits for semester Spanish writing & stylistics course
- 6 IU credits for two CIEE courses (or one course and 3-credit unpaid internship)
- 6 IU credits for two direct enrollment Universitat de Barcelona courses
The CIEE Advanced Liberal Arts program in Barcelona is designed for students with advanced Spanish language skills. This program requires students to take all courses in Spanish, the majority in regular university classes with Spanish professors and native Spanish speakers. Students are not permitted to take classes in English.
Course Equivalencies: Please see the Barcelona-CIEE course equivalency list for program enrollment requirements and a list of IU course equivalencies that students have received in the past.
*Note: IU selectively co-sponsors CIEE program offerings, including the one described on this page, but not all CIEE tracks/offerings. Please contact Education Abroad for clarification.
- Additional Information
- CIEE Housing options include:
- Standard housing
- single room in homestay (two meals/day included)
- double room in shared apartment
- these options are within a 45-minute commute from CIEE Barcelona
- Select housing
- single room in residence hall (additional fee charged directly to students)
- this option is within a 45-minute commute from CIEE Barcelona
- Select Plus housing
- private dorm room at residence hall (additional fee charged directly to students)
- this option is within a 25-minute commute from CIEE Barcelona
- See CIEE program information here (select "Destinations & Activities" from the navigation bar).
- Standard housing
- Note: Indiana University will not support plans for students to obtain independent housing. Students are required to live in program-provided housing in Barcelona
- CIEE Housing options include:
- Program Eligibility
You may apply if you:
- are an undergraduate student at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress
- are in at least your third full-time semester of college
- have taken or are enrolled in seventh semester (two 300-level courses) college-level Spanish with a B average
- have approximately a 3.0 cumulative GPA
Students that have not completed or are enrolled in at least two 300-level Spanish courses should consider other programs appropriate for their Spanish language level.
Students must have a passport valid for six months beyond program's end date.
Students must be able to demonstrate flexibility, resilience, and self-reliance.
Complete eligibility criteria and selection criteria are outlined within the Academic Policies and Procedures of Education Abroad. Selection is based on maturity, seriousness of purpose, and appropriateness of match between program and applicant. Students on disciplinary probation during program period are ineligible.
- Costs and Financial Aid
- IU portion of fee: $241.95
- CIEE portion of fee* paid to IU bursar: $18,952.50 (academic fees, housing, two meals per day in a homestay (no meals included for the Residencia or apartment options), orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, and medical insurance)
- Additional meals: $600 - $1,168
- International Airfare: CIEE estimates $1,200 (for East Coast departures)
- See IU Fee Sheet for an additional cost and payment details.
*Special Discounted CIEE fee for IU students. Based on published CIEE materials. Indiana University cannot guarantee the prices charged by CIEE and is not responsible for any price increase or change. The program qualifies for need-based CIEE Education Abroad Program Specific Scholarships.
Personal expenses and vacation travel additional. Initial prepayment of $500 due March 21, 2023.
- Fee paid to IU: $241.95
- Fee paid to CIEE* paid to IU bursar: $19,902.50 (academic fees, standard housing, two meals per day (homestay only - no meals included in apartment option), orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, and medical insurance)
- Additional meals: $1,040 - $1,190
- International Airfare: CIEE estimates $1,250 for East Coast departures
- See IU Fee Sheet for additional cost and payment details.
*Special discounted CIEE fee for IU students. Based on published CIEE materials. Indiana University cannot guarantee the prices charged by CIEE and is not responsible for any price increase or change. Program qualifies for need-based CIEE Education Abroad Program Specific Scholarships.
Personal expenses and vacation travel additional. Initial prepayment of $500 due September 27, 2023.
Financial Aid and Scholarships:
- IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs with some exceptions. Please carefully check these exceptions before you commit to a program.
- CIEE scholarships and grants available.
Please see our financial aid page for general information and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
- Program Contacts
Study Abroad Advisor
Provides detailed guidance and answers questions about specific programs or coursework available.
Student Services Coordinator
Helps students navigate the application process and coordinates with cosponsoring organizations.