Work Abroad

International internships are an excellent way to apply ideas and theories acquired during your courses to the professional world. They are an opportunity to address personal as well as professional development goals, gain employment skills, and identify your own strengths and preferences while learning within a structured environment. International internships allow you to explore different communication styles and work cultures.

Education Abroad can only award internship credit for those internships that are done in conjunction with an academic course that ties the experience together. Nearly all such internships have two components: work in the placement and a related academic project. You cannot earn credit for simply working abroad. Most often internships abroad will provide no salary or monetary compensation.

IU sponsors a number of programs that include internship componentsIf you do not find one that fits your needs, please consult our non-IU internship vetting guidance which offers information about what to look for in a non-IU internship program. For more information on applying to non-IU programs, please consult our non-IU programs procedures.

Students interested in virtual internships should look under Other Work Opportunities on this page for more information. 

Many students teach English abroad either in language institutes, businesses, or on a private tutorial basis. In some locations the pay is quite high, especially Spain and Japan. In many cases, you do not need a work permit but that means you are not an "official" employee which affects your visa status. The Walter Center for Career Achievement has a number of useful resources for locating teaching jobs abroad.

The following websites might be of interest:

While many people teach abroad with no formal preparation, training and certification in teaching English as a second language can improve your skills and marketability. The following options are available through IU:

These resources may be helpful for identifying short-term work experiences overseas. Some of these are affiliated with U.S.-based organizations, while others are work permits with foreign governments.